Breakfast is your moment to establish the plot of your day. No lumpy bagels burning in the toaster, no drive-through sausage sandwich sitting in your belly for hours like a broken bottle. And no cooking stress. If breakfasts in your house go as smoothly as the meal scene from Alien, we have you covered: This simple Mexican Omelet With Fresh Salsa, from our new Zero Belly Cookbook, can be on your table in just a few minutes.
And it's not just convenient! Eggs are one of the key Zero Belly foods, because they're the best food source of choline, a fat-burning nutrient that turns off the genes responsible for belly-fat storage. Add fiber-rich beans and savory salsa, and this is a breakfast you'll want to jump out of bed for.
Mexican Omelet With Fresh Salsa
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Juice of half a lime
3 whole eggs
5 egg whites
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup guacamole
Olive oil spray
• Pulse the pinto beans and lime juice in a food processor until it reaches the consistency of refried beans.
• Coat a small nonstick pan with olive oil spray and heat over medium heat.
• Whisk together the eggs and egg whites.
• Add one quarter of the egg mixture to the pan. Use a spatula to stir, drawing the cooked egg to the center of the pan to let the raw egg slide under.
• When the eggs have all but set, spoon a quarter of the pinto bean mixture down the middle of the omelet. Use the spatula to fold over a third of the egg to cover the mixture, then carefully slide the omelet onto a plate using the spatula to flip it over at the last second to form one fully rolled omelet.
• Top with 2 tablespoons salsa and 1 tablespoon of guacamole.
• Repeat three times with the remaining ingredients for four omelets total. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 197 calories / 8 g fat / 21 g carb / 7 g fiber / 11 g protein